Adult Ed FAQs
Ogeechee Technical College

Click on any of the following links to find answers to questions
related to Adult Education.


How do I register or sign up for classes?
Contact the Adult Learning Center near you. Click here for locations.

How much do classes and assessments cost? 
There is no charge for the classes we offer or the testing assessments we do for students enrolling in the GED program. They are provided free of charge by the State of Georgia and the Technical College System of Georgia, as well as through local donations. The only charge involved in getting your GED is the cost of taking the actual GED test. That is a fee of $160. Contact your local area Adult Learning Center to learn more about classes and assessments.

Do you have an attendance policy?
Yes, students must attend at least 80% of the class time available.  Students who do not meet this requirement may be suspended from the program.  

When are classes offered?
Class times vary per location. Click here for locations.  During Orientation, Adult Education staff will work with you on a schedule that best fits your needs.

Is an orientation necessary in order to take the GED Test?
Adults can take the GED test without attending classes or completing orientation. However, if they fail the test they may have restrictions on re-testing. The orientation and practice test are free and will help determine if you are ready to test. Students under the age of 18 must complete the orientation and continue with classes until they are ready to test as determined by the GED practice test score.

How soon can I take the actual GED test? 
Students must attend a minimum of 40 hrs before they can take the GED test.

Is the GED accepted just like a diploma across the nation? 
The GED Test is acknowledged across the nation.  It is best to check with the college of your choice to determine what its entrance requirements are so that you can meet the necessary prerequisites.

Do you have day care? 
The Adult Education program does not provide day care for students.

Why do I need to take the TABE test or register for classes, I think I am ready to take the GED Test? 
Ogeechee Technical College requires an assessment be taken prior to registration for the GED classes.  The TABE assessment test pinpoints a potential and current student's academic strengths and weaknesses.  It assists the teacher in making recommendations to you about a course of study with the idea of saving the student's time and money.

If I fail the GED, do I have to take the whole thing over? 
No, you only retake the parts you fail. There is a $20.00 fee for each test that you retake.

Do you have materials I can check out to take home in order to study on my own? 
We do not have materials available to loan the students. Upon request, instructors can provide students with additional practice sheets or skill sheets for homework.

How long will it take to get my GED test results? 
After all 4 tests are completed, it usually takes about 5 weeks to actually receive your diploma in the mail.

What forms of identification are acceptable to register for the GED test? 
You will need an official government issued picture ID, such as drivers' license, state ID card or passport to register for the GED test.

If I have already taken the TABE, do I have to take it again? 
The TABE is a diagnostic tool that is administered much as a physician administers a physical exam - to have a picture of a person's needs and strengths and to measure a person's progress.  The TABE is given when a student enters the program so that the instructor may know what needs the student has. The survey form of the TABE is given after 40 hours of attendance to measure the student's progress.  If the student has been absent from the program for more than 6 months, the full TABE should be re-administered.

In an adult education program, what does the term under-age youth mean? 
The term underage-youth refers to a student who is 16 or 17 years of age.  State permission is required to allow these students to test for the GED.

Can I sign up for the GED Test as soon as I am 16 years old? 
No.  Please refer to the question below for the procedure regarding testing as an under-age youth.

If I am an under-age youth, what process do I need to follow to sign up for the GED classes? 
The following forms are required for all 16 and 17 year olds in order to register for GED classes.

  • Letter of Withdrawal from last school attended
  • A state issued ID. (Drivers License or state issued ID)
  • Complete under-age youth packet signed by parent or guardian

Is getting the GED quicker and easier than finishing high school? 
There is no easy way to get high school or GED credentials. It is possible to finish the learning objectives for secondary school earlier by intensive preparation for the GED Test even though this option is not for everyone.

Can I obtain my driver's license while studying for the GED? 
1.  The student must complete 40 hours of class time.
2.  The student must be a level completer.
3.  Complete the form furnished by the Adult Education Instructor and return it to the Department of Driver Safety.

How much time do I have to come to class in order to keep my driver's license? 
Students 16 or 17 years old must attend classes 80% of the time offered.

If my child is 19 or younger, may I obtain information from the teacher about attendance and other matters pertaining to my child's progress? 
Instructors are not allowed to give information out about any student unless the student is present and can witness what is being said or the student has signed a document permitting the instructor to speak to someone about the student's progress or status in the program.

If my child is a minor, why can I not receive information from the teacher? 
When you sign the parental permission allowing your child to enroll in the GED program, you are permitting your child into an adult program of Ogeechee Technical College.  As a student in an adult college course, your child has all the confidentiality rights of any other student at Ogeechee Technical College.  If you would like to be able to obtain information from the instructor, you will need to encourage your child to sign a form allowing the teacher to speak to you or come into the classroom with your child and the teacher will be allowed to give you an update.  No instructor wants to withhold information from a parent, but he/she is required to ensure that only the proper parties receive it.




Contact Information:

Hyedie Badie
Adult Education Specialist
Room 1320, Natural Resources Building
Phone: 912.871.1721