Programs of Study within the Opticianry Program
opticianry Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Purpose Statement
The purpose of the Opticianry program is to provide entry-level technical skills to students. These basic skills will give students the ability to pass the two national certification tests as well as the state board test for licensure. The program provides classroom, laboratory, and clinical training for students, qualifying them for employment with the following: retail optical stores, wholesale laboratories in addition to optical dispensaries of doctors of Optometry and medical doctors of Ophthalmology.
- Provide education which acknowledges differences and respects the right of individual to seek fulfillment of educational needs.
- Provide an environment which encourages the individual to benefit and contribute as a partner in the economic progress, development and stability of Georgia.
- Provide education which develops the potential of each student to become a productive, responsible, and upwardly mobile member of society.
- Provide quality Opticianry education in an atmosphere that fosters interest in and enthusiasm for learning.
- Prepare graduates to function as accountable and responsible members within their field of endeavor.
- Prepare graduates to function as safe and competent practitioners in the Opticianry field.
- Prepare graduates with the highest level of competence possible within the constraints of the interests and ability levels of the individual.
- Provide educational and related services without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, handicapped condition, academic disadvantage, or economic disadvantage.
- Foster employer participation, understanding, and confidence in the instructional process and the competence of Opticianry program graduates.
- Prepare graduates for successful completion of the American Board of Opticianry Examination, National Contact Lens Examination, and the State Board Licensing Exam.
- Eliminate hazardous waste, to reduce nonhazardous waste to the minimum levels economically and technically practical, and to be in full compliance with all federal and state environmental regulations.
- Provide current curriculum, instructional materials and equipment (in accordance with available funding) which teach knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to industry needs.
- Provide educational facilities, which foster learning and provide a safe, healthy environments available and accessible to all students who can benefit from the program.
- Provide academic instruction, which supports effective learning within the program and which enhances professional performance on the job.
- Provide employability skills which foster work attitudes & work habits that will enable graduates of the program to perform as good employees.
- Nurture the desire for learning so that graduates will pursue their own continuing education as a lifelong endeavor.
- Provide an educational atmosphere which promotes a positive self-image and a sense of personal well being.
- Provide education that fosters development of good safety habits.
- Provide admissions, educational, and placement services without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, handicapped condition, academic disadvantage or economic disadvantage.
- Provide information to the public regarding the program that will facilitate recruitment and enrollment of students.
- Promote good public relations via contacts and regular communication with business, industry and the public sector.
- Promote faculty and student rapport and communications to enhance student success in the program.
The Opticianry program is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation (COA), P. O. Box 592, Canton, NY 13617, Phone 703.468.0566, firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon successful completion of the program and passing of the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) and National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE), students are eligible to sit for their state licensure exam to become a Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO).
Program Outcomes (FY2015)
(degree students only)
Program Retention: 59%
Job Placement: 100%
ABO pass rate: 71%
NCLE pass rate: 86%
Georgia State Board Pass rate: 100%
State of Georgia’s Overall Pass Rate: 64%
Gainful Employment Disclosures: