The Technical College System of Georgia Education Guarantee
Curriculum standards have been developed with the direct involvement of business and industry. These standards serve as the industry-validated specifications for each occupational program. The TCSG guarantee to every one of our students is this:
If one of our graduates educated under a standard program and his/her employer finds that the graduate is deficient in one or more competencies as defined in the standards, the technical college will retrain the employee at no instructional cost to the employee or the employer.
This guarantee is in effect for a period of two years after graduation.
State Board Policy 5.1.7. Warranty of Degree, Diploma, and Technical Certificate of Credit Graduates
To demonstrate confidence in quality technical college programs, the Technical College System of Georgia [TCSG] warrants every graduate of a technical certificate of credit, diploma, or associate degree as follows:
- The warranty guarantees that the graduate has demonstrated the knowledge and skills, and can perform each competency as identified in the industry-validated standards. Any program graduate who is determined to lack such competence shall be retrained at no cost to the employer or the graduate for tuition or instructional fees.
- A claim against the warranty may be filed by either an employer in conjunction with a graduate or a graduate if the individual is unable to perform one or more of the competencies contained in the industry-validated standards, including failure to pass a State of Georgia required licensing examination or national licensing examination.
- This warranty is applicable only to graduates of a technical certificate of credit, diploma, or degree program who entered the program subsequent to the mandated standards implementation date.
- The warranty shall remain in effect for two years immediately following the date of graduation and will be honored by any technical college that offers the program from which the individual graduated.
- This warranty shall be issued in writing to each graduate exiting a program on or after the mandated standards implementation date for the applicable program standard.
- The Commissioner shall develop procedures for implementing this policy such that the technical college conducting the retraining under the warranty may recover the institutional costs of retraining from the technical college that conducted the original program.
- The Commissioner shall resolve any disputes pertaining to this warranty policy.
TCSG Procedure 5.1.7p. Claim Report Procedures
The Technical College System of Georgia guarantees that graduates of its technical colleges have demonstrated proficiency in those competencies included in the approved state curriculum standards. Should any student within two years of graduation not be able to perform one or more of the competencies contained in the industry-validated standards, including failure to pass a state or national required licensing examination. TCSG agrees to provide specific retraining at any TCSG technical college offering the program to the graduate at no cost to the employer or graduate for tuition or instructional fees.
Implementation of a claim shall follow the procedures as outlined below:
- The employer in conjunction with a graduate shall contact the technical college to discuss the need for retraining.
- The technical college representative shall analyze the claim request, complete a warranty claim report after consulting with the employer in conjunction with the graduate, and shall inform the employer and the graduate of the action to be taken.
- If the technical college processing the claim is not the college from which the student graduated, the graduating college shall be notified of the warranty claim, the services to be provided, and the institutional costs incurred during the retraining.
- The technical college processing the claim shall forward a warranty claim report to the Commissioner.