Why Dental Assisting?
Are you interested in being a valuable member of a dental healthcare team? Students in the Dental Assisting program at Ogeechee Tech learn to work closely with dentists to help provide efficient and comfortable treatment for patients.
Oral Surgery Assistant
Program Purpose Statement
The mission of the Dental Assisting program is to provide educational opportunities to individuals that will enable them to obtain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to succeed in the field of dental assisting.
What Do Dental Assistants Do?
Dental assistants are valuable members of the dental team who perform a variety of patient care, business office, and laboratory duties. They work alongside the dentist to help provide more efficient and comfortable treatment for the patient.
Tasks A Dental Assistant May Perform Include:
- Assisting the dentist during treatment
- Taking dental radiographs
- Preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment
- Taking impressions of patient's teeth
- Laboratory procedures
- Teaching patients good home care techniques such as brushing and flossing
- Recording patient's medical histories
- Scheduling and confirming appointments
- Helping to keep the patient comfortable