A student can grant others permission to access certain information contained in Banner Web.
This is called granting PROXY ACCESS. The PROXY is the person whom the student has given permission to. Students commonly grant parents or spouses access to their personal information.
Due to the protection of students’ rights under FERPA, a student may restrict the information that a parent or guest is able to access and revoke access at any time. For FERPA updates and more information, please visit: OTC Registrar's FERPA Informational Page.
NOTE: Proxies access records through e-mail, so you must know the e-mail address of the person you wish to grant
To establish proxy access:
1. Log in to Banner Web using your OTC ID 910# number for the username
2. Use your current Banner Web password and click Login
3. Select the Personal Information Menu
4. Select the Proxy Access menu and select the link for Proxy Management
5. Read the text on the page and make sure that you understand the implications and responsibility of granting proxy access to your information
6. Select Add Proxy
7. Enter the first name, last name, and e-mail address of the person you wish to grant proxy access
8. Confirm that you wish to add this person by selecting Add Proxy again
9. The person you just added will receive an e-mail asking them to set up a PIN/Password. You will also receive a copy of this e-mail in your OTC Office 365 Email Account.
Next, define what access the proxy will have:
1. On the Proxy Management self-service page, select the line that says Expand (Proxy Name)
2. Complete the Profile Tab
You must select a relationship for this proxy. If you don’t, you will not be able to authorize any access for the proxy.
Enter a description for the person’s relationship to you, such as “mom,” “wife,” or “employer.”
Enter a passphrase for the person. This is a required field if you are going to allow the proxy to have verbal conversations with anyone at Ogeechee Technical College about your student information. Essentially, this is a password.
Set the start and end dates for access. The access range defaults to 365 days.
If you set a passphrase, select the E-Mail Passphrase icon. This will send your proxy an e-mail with their passphrase. They will need it for any assistance from the Account Assistance Support or any department information requests.
Finally, complete the Authorization tab:
1. When you select the Authorization tab, you will see all the access that you can extend to your proxy. You can grant item-by-item access, or you can select the main check boxes next to the major categories to grant access to all items in each category.
2. After you have checked all the items your proxy should have access to, select the E-Mail Authorizations icon to the right. This will generate an e-mail to your proxy indicating what you have granted them access to.
COMPLETE this document and return it to the Registrar’s Office
to complete finalization of Proxy Access: Authorization and Request to Release Information
ACCESS TO STUDENT INFORMATION
Your student must first create an account or proxy identity for you. Once created, the system will send two email messages to the email address used to create your proxy identity. This email address serves as your username when you are logging into the portal.
To begin, check the email account your student used to create your proxy identity. You should see two messages from email@example.com. The message with the subject "New Proxy Identity" includes a link and instructions for activating your guest account and setting your initial PIN/password. The link provided in this message is valid for five days. If you do not activate your account within the five-day period, your student must re-send the “New proxy identity” email message from their Banner Web.
The message with the subject "Send Updated Proxy Passphrase" contains the FERPA passphrase set by your student. This passphrase is a personalized word or phrase which you must use to confirm your identity when calling or making an offline query to any college official regarding your student’s records. For more information about FERPA, visit www.ogeecheetech.edu/registrar-ferpa.
1. Begin by opening the message with the subject New Proxy Identity.
2. Click the link to open the login page or copy and paste the link in the address bar of a new page.
3. Copy the temporary PIN/password provided in the email.
4. Enter the email address.
5. Paste the temporary PIN/password into the PIN field.
6. Create your new PIN/password.
7. Validate your new PIN/password by entering it a second time. Note: Your PIN/password must be a minimum of eight characters.
8. Click Save.
You have now completed the account activation process, and have arrived at the Profile Tab within the Parent/Guest Banner Web Portal. On this page, you must complete all the fields identified with an asterisk and click Save. You will receive an email to confirm your changes that shows each field on this page.
1. Click the tab for the student whose records you wish to view.
2. You will see the pages that your student has authorized for you to access. Click the link for any of the pages that you wish to view. For example, to view the student’s schedule, click “View Detail Registration Schedule”. If prompted, choose the term you wish to view the information for and click “Submit”. The student schedule will display once a term has been selected.
3. Always EXIT the portal and close the Internet browser to ensure that your information is protected. If you leave the browser open, someone can use the back button to go back through recent browsing history.
Click HERE to download a PDF of these instructions.